How to File a
Complaint with the Ohio Elections Commission
Any person can file a complaint with the Ohio Elections Commission. In order to
do so you must include certain information in the complaint.
Complaints must be submitted to the Ohio Elections
Commission in the form of an affidavit of complaint.
A letter, or any other type of writing, is sufficient as long
as it contains all of the following elements:
1. Name(s) of the person or party filing the complaint;
2. Name(s) of the person or party against whom the allegations are being made;
3. Address or addresses for all of the parties. This includes the person filing
the complaint as well as the parties against whom the complaint is filed. Also,
please include phone numbers, if they are available;
4. A written narrative or statement of the alleged violation or violations,
specifically identifying the statement or statements
which you allege to be false and an explanation of the personal
knowledge of the complainant;
5. A reference to the section or sections of the Ohio Revised Code alleged to
have been violated;
6. The complaint must be based on personal
knowledge, originally signed and properly notarized. A proper notarization includes the
phrase "signed and sworn before a Notary Public";
7. Any additional materials or exhibits may be included to support the
allegations contained in the complaint.
Once all of these elements are included in the complaint, the complaint should
be sent to the following address:
Ohio Elections Commission
77 S. High St., Suite 1850
Columbus, Ohio 43215
****Also, please be aware of the following***
1. The burden of proof for any complaint rests with the party bringing
the complaint. The complainant must be prepared to present sufficient evidence
to the Commission that a violation has occurred.
2. Complaints alleging that false statements have been made, those brought
under Ohio Revised Code sections 3517.21 and 3517.22, will have an expedited
review before a Probable Cause Panel of the Commission. Parties will be
notified of the date and time of this review.